Preparing for Tropical Storms Includes Boarding Up Windows and Doors

If you know a tropical storm is approaching, it is best to evacuate the area especially if you live in an area that is prone to storm surge. This is because there is the possibility that the storm can cause heavy rain that lead to high rise of water in the neighborhood and flood your home. Often, you can find information about a hurricane from the site of a local government. It is not wise to wait until the last minute to evacuate so you should try to evacuate as soon as you can.

Preparing for Tropical Storms Includes Boarding Up Windows and Doors

If you live in a safer area, you still need to take safety precaution to protect your home. One of the important steps to protect your home from tropical storm is to board up the windows and doors. This is done to prevent the windows and doors from being blow open and allowing the damaging winds to enter into the house.

You must first measure the windows and doors so that you know how big the plywood you need to cover them up. Most stores will sell plywood with standard measurement of 4 x 8 feet. It is recommended that you buy plywood that is 5/8 inch.

Hurricane wind can cause tree branches to fall so make sure you prune the tree branches. You should move your vehicles away from the trees and park them in the garage instead prior to the hurricane season. If possible, you should park your car in an off site location prepared by the auto insurance company in preparation of the hurricane storm. Leaving your vehicle outside can cause damage so you should do your best to take it to the shelter. You must check your rain gutter and downspout to make sure that they are clear of debris.

Besides, you should check your roof to make sure it has no hole. All doors including garage doors should be secured to prevent damages. Hurricane often causes power outage so you should consider purchasing a generator. The generator should be placed at least 20 feet from your home. It is important to buy supplies in advanced such as canned food, water, first aid kit, walkie talkie, flashlight, batteries, whistle, and maps.

It is necessary that you get a flood insurance to protect your home from flood damage. If you are renting a house, you can contact the landlord and ask them if they have flood insurance. They should help you to purchase the flood insurance even if your home is not located by the sea. Even if your home is not located by the sea, there are still chances of flooding because the heavy rain can flood any area, especially low area.

Call Now